Thursday 10 April 2014

CRIME FICTION REVIEW: The Detectives Daughter 2: Ghost Girl - Lesley Thomson

Release Date: 10/04/14
Publisher:  Head of Zeus

SYNOPSIS:

It is a year since her father's death, but Stella Darnell has not moved on. She still cleans his house every day, leaving it spotless as if he might return. Terry Darnell was Detective Chief Superintendent at Hammersmith police station, and now Stella has discovered an unsolved case in his darkroom: a folder of unlabelled photographs of deserted streets. The oldest photograph dates back to 1966. To a day when Mary Thornton, just ten years old, is taking her little brother home from school in time for tea. That afternoon, as the Moors Murderers are sent to prison for life, Mary witnesses something that will haunt her forever. As Stella inches closer to the truth, the events of that day begin to haunt her too...


REVIEW:

To be honest I read Lesley’s debut last year, the Detectives Daughter and whilst I wasn’t fully enamoured with the principle character as I couldn’t really get a handle upon her, I thought that there was enough there for me to give the second book a go.

Unfortunately for me, the problems that I had with the original remained in this the second book in short the principle character again. That’s not to say that the story wasn’t carefully constructed, it was and the tale did generate some solid leads alongside twists but at the end of the day, when I can’t stand a lead character I have a hell of a job keeping going. All round, I’ll probably give Lesley’s next book a miss however if the character does become more amenable to the reader I’ll definitely pick it up.



No comments: