Friday 25 April 2014

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: Age of Shiva - James Lovegrove


Release Date: 10/04/14
Publisher:  Solaris

SYNOPSIS:

Zachary Bramwell, better known as the comics artist Zak Zap, is pushing forty and wondering why his life isn t as exciting as the lives of the superheroes he draws. Then he s shanghaied by black-suited goons and flown to Mount Meru, a vast complex built atop an island in the Maldives. There, Zak meets a trio of billionaire businessmen who put him to work designing costumes for a team of godlike super-powered beings based on the ten avatars of Vishnu from Hindu mythology. The Ten Avatars battle demons and aliens and seem to be the saviours of a world teetering on collapse. But their presence is itself a harbinger of apocalypse. The Vedic fourth age of civilisation, Kali Yuga, is coming to an end, and Zak has a ringside seat for the final, all-out war that threatens the destruction of Earth.


REVIEW:

The latest from James in his Age of series and whilst I’m a huge fan of whats gone before, this title left me a little flat. Don’t get me wrong I love the concepts that he brings to the fore in each of the books, but for me, this pantheon left me feeling a little flat as each of the incarnations really didn’t improve the tale to the standards to which I was expecting.

Yes the pace was just as lively as in previous titles, the principle storyteller working wonderfully well, but there felt like a massive separation between him and the deities that nothing seemed to bridge for me as a reader. Don’t get me wrong, James is definitely one of my favourite British Urban Fantasy authors but against other titles in this series this one feels like its one of the weakest for me. All round a great shame.

No comments: