Friday 12 February 2016

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: The Futher Adventures of Sherlock Homes: The White Worm - Sam Siciliano

Release Date: 12/02/16
Publisher:  Titan

SYNOPSIS:

A journey to Whitby heralds the start of a new case for SHERLOCK HOLMES and Dr. Henry Vernier. Their client is in love, but a mysterious letter has warned him of the dangers of the romance. The object of his affection is said to be under a thousand-year-old druidic curse, doomed to take the form of a gigantic snake. Locals speak of a green glow in the woods at night, and a white apparition amongst the trees. Is there sorcery at work, or is a human hand behind the terrors of Diana s Grove?


REVIEW:

Whilst I’ve been a fan of Sherlock in his many incarnations, its when we dive into his Urban Fantasy cases that really grab me. I love the way that its interwoven with solid Holmesian deductions, cunning authorly twists as well as solid dialogue that helps the story move.

And whilst for some, they’re disappointed I love the addition of the supernatural. All round whilst I had high hopes for this title, I was a little let down with some of the narrative as I didn’t feel that part of it fit into the time period, bringing too modern an attitude into a place where it just didn’t work. I did have some fun within the pages however all in, I did feel disappointed as I turned the final page as it was a tad too predictable. A great shame.



No comments: