Sunday 5 August 2012

CRIME THRILLER REVIEW: Niceville - Carsten Stroud

Release Date: 02/08/12

SYNOPSIS:

When ten-year-old Rainey Teague disappears on his way home from school in idyllic Niceville, Detective Nick Kavanaugh traces the boy to his last sighting - staring into the window of old pawn shop in town. CCTV shows Rainey there one minute and then gone the next. In the days that follow, any hope Rainey's family has of finding him alive starts to fade but then Rainey is found - alive but in a coma, and there's no telling when, or if, he'll ever wake up...One year on, Kavanagh is still haunted by the case. And now another member of the town - this time an elderly woman - has been reported missing. It's as though she vanished into thin air. Once again, Kavanagh's on the case and, as he starts to dig back through the town's history, he can't help but notice that Niceville has a much higher than average number of stranger abductions...


REVIEW:

OK, I love something a little different and this book from Carsten definitely did that blending Urban Fantasy together with a fast paced crime thriller which has received acclaim from quite a few well known authors. Great I thought, a real treat and something I couldn’t wait to dive into yet when I did, I was a little disappointed as for me the principle character was one that I really couldn’t get a hook on, he felt flat, a little too unconnected to the world which for me is usually a deal breaker as it makes working your way through it more of a struggle.

Don’t get me wrong, I did like the underlying arc, the twists that left the reader wondering which way was up and of course the teasers that were bread crumbed along for the reader to follow, but when I can’t get on with a lead character it’s definitely difficult to keep going. All in for me, I was a little underwhelmed and disappointed but with the idea’s behind I will give Carsten another shot to keep me glued. Here’s hoping.


No comments: