Sunday 23 March 2014

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: The Enchantment Emporium - Tanya Huff

Release Date: 17/01/14
Publisher: Titan

SYNOPSIS:

The Gale family can change the world with the charms they cast. Alysha Gale is tired of having all her aunts try to run her life. So when her Gran leaves her a "junk" shop in Calgary, Alysha jumps at the chance. It isn't until she gets there that she realizes her customers are fey. And no one told her there's trouble brewing in Calgary - trouble so big that even calling in the family may not save the day...


REVIEW:

To be honest I’m a huge fan of Tanya’s writing and whilst I’ve loved a lot of what has gone before I found this book not only uncomfortable but one that confused me on so many levels as it didn’t really make a lot of sense, almost as if Tanya was drinking from the same liquid source as a certain UF author with a penchant for the erotica.

The characters whilst interesting, didn’t really flesh out as much as I normally like with Tanya, the storyline felt convoluted and when added to magic that really didn’t seem to have any rules alongside with a family so messed up that Jerry Springer wouldn’t take them all round left me feeling disappointed with what I normally assume to be an author on my safe list.

All round I felt let down, hugely upset at not getting what I went for in and all round wondering if this is the shape of things to come for Tanya’s future titles. If so I’ll be bailing.


1 comment:

Bea said...

This was a confusing book and I was lukewarm about it. She wrote another book with this family but I haven't attempted reading it.