Monday 8 September 2014

CRIME THRILLER REVIEW: Disappeared - Anthony Quinn

Release Date: 14/08/14
Publisher:  Head of Zeus

SYNOPSIS:

DISAPPEARED introduces Celcius Daly, a Belfast Police Inspector laden with flawed judgment and misplaced loyalties. One of 2012's top ten crime novels. A retired Special Branch Detective succumbing to early-stage dementia disappears from his remote home in rural Northern Ireland. An ex-intelligence officer is tortured to death. But why was his obituary printed in the local paper before his death? A son seeks his father's long-lost body and vengeance against those who murdered him. A stone-cold killer stalks the outskirts of Belfast. But at whose behest is he hunting his targets? And why? All are connected by a single strand spun out of the past...but as Inspector Celcius Daly knows, the past is never dead...it's not even past.


REVIEW:

I love spending time with a crime thriller and when one brings history to which I’m familiar with to the fore as well as giving me a story that is not only dark but reveals a lot about the society to which it’s based all round gives me a story that I can really get my teeth into.

The prose is very sharp, the pace wonderful but it’s the way that the author brings the hidden elements of the history into the tale with clever use of dialogue and plot devices that really made this a book that I couldn’t put down. All round a cracking story and one that I’m definitely going to be championing for other crime fans to sit back with. Great stuff.

No comments: