Saturday 29 October 2016

SCIENCE FICTION REVIEW: Down 2: The WHite City - Simon Morden

Release Date: 27/10/16
Publisher:  Gollancz

SYNOPSIS:

Award-winning author Simon Morden's stunning quest continues, unravelling magic and uncovering secrets on the way . . .

LET'S FACE IT, NONE OF US DESERVE TO BE SAVED.

Since escaping London's inferno, Mary and Dalip have fought monsters and won - though in the magical world of Down, the most frightening monsters come from within.

Now they hold the greatest of treasures: maps that reveal the way to the White City, where they can find the answers they're looking for, and learn the secrets of Down.

But to get there they must rely on Crows, who has already betrayed them at every turn. As they battle their way towards the one place in all of Down without magic, they must ask themselves how far they will go to find their way home.

After all, if there's one thing the White City offers those brave enough to enter, it's more than they bargained for.

SIMON MORDEN'S DOWN STATION WAS AN EXTRAORDINARY QUEST FOR MEANING AND IDENTITY. NOW HE'S LEADING US TO THE KIND OF TRUTHS THAT LEAVE US CHANGED.


REVIEW:

Having found the previous outing Down Station, a bit of a let down due to the supporting cast, I picked up this book apprehensively hoping that with the world mainly set up that this one would concentrate on what for me were the weaker area's in order to allow me to fully enjoy my reading experience.

What occurred within I felt was more of the same sadly and whilst I was prepared for the supporting cast to let me down, I did find that the pacing problem that haunted the original was stil there leaving me feeling quite flat. I do love the authors creativity in bringing new worlds to life, I still love how he breathes life into his principle characters but with the same problems recurring again, I don't think I'll be continuing with this series and wait for his next series instead.



No comments: