Sunday 9 October 2016

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: Night Watch 6: The Sixth Watch - Sergei Lukyanenko

Release Date: 01/09/16
Publisher: William Heinemann

SYNOPSIS:

A SINISTER MESSAGE, A DIRE PROPHECY, AND AN ENEMY UNLIKE ANYTHING THE NIGHT WATCH HAS EVER FACED

For a millennium, the Others, a supernatural race of magicians, shape-shifters, vampires, and healers, have maintained an uneasy peace between Light Others and Dark Others that has protected both our world and the Twilight, a shadowy parallel world beneath our own. Now, these rival factions must unite against the ultimate enemy.

A Light magician and high-ranking member of the Night Watch, Anton Gorodetsky fears nothing. But lately the threats are mounting. A reincarnated vampire has been terrorizing Moscow, and is using the victims to send him a message. His daughter s school is ambushed by a chimera unlike any he has seen. And the Prophets have all reached the same chilling conclusion: Our world is running out of time.

If we are to stand a chance, the rival factions of Others must unite against this evil as the Sixth Watch. But can they put aside their grievances with the world at stake? Will it be enough? Journeying from Russia to Paris, the Alps, and New York City, Anton comes in peace but he is prepared for war. For if he fails, no one is safe.


REVIEW:

I've been a fan of this series for a number of years and whilst I've pretty much loved spending time with the characterrs and world they inhabit, all good things have to come to an end. Sadly for me I felt that this book wasn't as good as a lot of the others. Why?

Well for me, I wasn't happy with the flow of the book. The language felt stunted and I was left wondering if this was down to the author himself or the translation being not as thorough as perhaps that others were. That said, I did get a cracking story, I did get to see things through with a fair few favourite characters and I felt like we got a book that wapped a hell of a lot up nicely enough without leaving us demanding more.

All round it is a solid title but when I feel a little cheated without flowing language and chopped up prose, then it does ruin my reading pleasure quite a bit.

No comments: