Saturday 7 August 2010

FANTASY REVIEW: The Crown of the Blood - Gav Thorpe

BOOK BLURB:

He had brought his master’s Empire to the furthest reaches of the world. All had fallen before him. Now he longs for home.

But home isn’t what it was. Could it be that everything he’s fought for all those years has been a lie?

A sweeping fantasy of immense battles, demonic magic and dark politics.


REVIEW:

Having loved Gav Thorpe’s writing from his Black Library offering I knew that this would be something different and I hoped special. Yes, it has his combat sequences that are pretty unique, yes it has his touch of sparse descriptiveness that allows you to get to the meat of the story without unnecessary fussiness and backed it up with politics that make this a reasonable opener for a new epic fantasy series.

It has all the elements to make this something special although for me personally I found the book blurb off putting alongside something that could have been better phrased for the market. All in it is a good solid opening to a new series although it may not appeal to a lot of Gav’s established fans who prefer not having to go through quite a long set up.

1 comment:

ediFanoB said...

This will be my first Gav Thorpe read.

I still wait for the delivery of my copy.