Wednesday 22 February 2012

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: Four and Twenty Blackbirds - Cherie Priest

Release Date: 10/02/12

SYNOPSIS:

What Eden Moore digs up in the roots of her diseased family tree takes her across the South, from the ruins of the Pine Breeze sanitarium in Tennessee to a corpse-filled swamp in Florida, and back in time to the Civil War, when the taint in her family bloodline sets in motion events building only now to a supernatural crescendo.


REVIEW:

I love a good horror story and when I heard about Titan reprinting Cherie Priest’s dark title I really couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. After all it has a cracking principle character that the reader gets to associate with through the years which when backed with the ghostly themes and of course some characters that aren’t the full shilling, the reader is left wondering if the principle player has similar problems or if there is something deeper going on within.

What unfurls within this book is a story that keeps the reader hooked as it wends its way through various emotions which make it not only hard to put down but nigh impossible. Add to this a myriad of supporting cast alongside cracking prose and dialogue and the reader really is in for a treat. Haunting, dark and of course wonderfully atmospheric, I found this a real treat to read. Thank you Titan and Cherie.

1 comment:

wogc said...

I read and liked this one.

I think it's part of a series, but I found it quite good as a stand-alone novel.