Wednesday 20 February 2013

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: The Farm - Emily McKay

Release Date: 14/02/13

SYNOPSIS:

This is a powerful, unique and compelling novel about twin sisters and their fight for survival in a world on the brink of chaos, "The Farm" by Emily McKay is as addictive as "The Hunger Games" and "The Passage". For Lily and her twin sister Mel there is only the Farm...It's a prison, a blood bank, a death camp - where fear and paranoia rule. But it's also home, of sorts. Because beyond the electric fence awaits a fate much, much worse. But Lily has a plan. She and Mel are going to escape - into the ravaged land outside, a place of freedom and chaos and horrors. Except Lily hasn't reckoned on two things: first, her sister's ability to control the horrors; and, secondly, on those out there who desperately want to find and control Mel. Mel's growing power might save the world, or utterly end it. But only Lily can protect Mel from what is to come..."The Farm" takes you into a terrifying future where civilization has ended, and leaves you there - fearful, gasping and begging to escape. "Equal parts "Resident Evil" and "Hunger Games" - and just as thrilling "The Farm" is a gripping dystopian tale that pits humans against humans in the race for survival in her remarkable and haunting world. I can't wait to sink my teeth into the next installment!" (Chloe Neill). Emily McKay loves to read, shop, and geek out about movies. When she's not writing, she reads online gossip and bakes luscious desserts. She pretends that her weekly yoga practice balances out both of those things. She lives in central Texas with her family and her crazy pets. She also co-writes young adult as Ivy Adams.


REVIEW:

When I originally heard about the premise for this book I placed it as one of my highlights for the first quarter of the year, so when it landed it was a title that I put to one side to savour when I was feeling down. Finally I cracked the cover and settled down to enjoy a story of horror, of feeding and of course characters trying their best to survive in a harsh world.

Yet for all that, a tale is only so good as the conflicts within be they personal, emotional or of danger but a book that faces way too many from inter-character arguments really struggles for me to not only keep me glued but also to keep the pace moving along with the story arc. Don’t get me wrong, the premise had a great concept behind it (as has been used in passing in titles like Stephen Hunt’s Court of the Air) but when the argument just keeps interfering I really want to take a break and have the vampires take a chunk of out them.

All round sadly lacking in the delivery for me but it is something that might work better for the Young Reader market rather than the adult with so many personal conflicts to be resolved but when I want something to raise the chills taking me on a high octane chill factor, this title was lacking.



No comments: