Monday 22 July 2013

STEAMPUNK REVIEW: Theatre of the Gods - Matt Sudain

Release Date: 27/06/13
Publisher:  Jonathan Cape

SYNOPSIS:

This is the story of M. Francisco Fabrigas, explorer, philosopher, heretical physicist, who took a shipful of children on a frightening voyage to the next dimension, assisted by a teenaged Captain, a brave deaf boy, a cunning blind girl, and a sultry botanist, all the while pursued by the Pope of the universe and a well-dressed mesmerist. Dark plots, demonic cults, murderous jungles, quantum mayhem, the birth of creation, the death of time, and a creature called the Sweety: all this and more waits beyond the veil of reality.


REVIEW:

To be honest this is a book I put off reading for quite some time. Not because I thought that it was going to be bad but at the moment I’ve had so many titles from established names land that I had to figure out priorities. Sadly this was one of the times when I went against my gut that said “Try the new guy;”

So when starting this, I started to kick myself for putting it off so long. The writing is sharp, the characters not just believable but wonderfully rounded and fully fledged and when added to an overall arc that puts Steampunk in Space really gave me a story that I couldn’t put down (so much so that I finished at 4:30 AM.

Throw into the mix a debut that puts a number of established names to shame and all round if you only read one Steampunk debut this year make it this one.


No comments: