Tuesday 19 March 2013

FANTASY REVIEW: THe Dark Legacy of Shannara 2: Bloodfire Quest - Terry Brooks

Release Date: 12/03/13
Publisher:  Orbit

SYNOPSIS:

The quest for the long-lost Elfstones has drawn the leader of the Druid order and her followers into the hellish dimension known as the Forbidding, where the most dangerous creatures banished from the Four Lands are imprisoned. Now the hunt for the powerful talismans that can save their world has become a series of great challenges: a desperate search for kidnapped comrades, a relentless battle against unspeakable predators, and a grim race to escape the Forbidding alive. But though freedom is closer than they know, it may come at a terrifying price. Back in the village of Arborlon, the mystical, sentient tree that maintains the barrier between the Four Lands and the Forbidding is dying. And with each passing day, as the breach between the two worlds grows larger, the threat of the evil eager to spill forth and wreak havoc grows more dire. The only hope lies with a young Druid, faced with a staggering choice: cling to the life she cherishes or combat an army of darkness by making the ultimate sacrifice.


REVIEW:

To be honest I was originally introduced to Terry’s writing by my Dad and as the books have come out I’ve had my ups and downs with the writing. Usually the books give me everything that I want, yet to be blunt the second books for me have tended to be the weakest, feeling more like trying to fill the gap between a cracking ending and a magnificent ending, almost as if the middle has been put together whilst trying to travel to the authors destination.

Bloodfire Quest sadly is one of the second novels that really doesn’t hit the spot for me. It’s not that it’s a bad book, but it does feel that there is a lot of meandering within as we tread familiar ground within. Don’t get me wrong I had a lot of fun reading this, I enjoyed the journey, the cliffhanger was cracking but when I have so much filler, I feel a little cheated.

All round a solid enough book which does prove that Terry is a good writer however against the first book, Wards of Faerie, it pales in comparison.



No comments: