Friday 29 March 2013

URBAN STEAMPUNK: The Good, the Bad and the Infernal - Guy Adams

Release Date: 26/03/13
Publisher:  Solaris

SYNOPSIS:

Every one hundred years a town appears. From a small village in the peaks of Tibet to a gathering of mud huts in the jungles of South American, it can take many forms. It exists for twenty-four hours and then vanishes once more, but for that single day it contains the greatest miracle a man could imagine: a doorway to Heaven. It is due to appear on the 21st September 1889 as a ghost town in the American Midwest. When it does, there are many who hope to be there: traveling preacher Obeisance Hicks and his simple messiah, a brain-damaged Civil War veteran; Henry and Harmonium Jones and their freak show pack of outlaws; the Brothers of Ruth and their sponsor Lord Forset (inventor of the Forset Thunderpack and other incendiary modes of personal transport); finally, an aging gunslinger who lost his wings at the very beginning of creation and wants nothing more than to settle old scores.


REVIEW:

Guy Adams is one of those authors I either love or hate and to be honest with you, this is a book that really didn’t strike me as my usual sort of fare. The characters within felt flat, the plotline fairly predictable and to be blunt, at the end of the day was a book that having read is not only that I’d recommend as a great place to start with this author. Don’t get me wrong, it does have the usual patterns within that say it’s a Guy Adams novel such as clipped prose, some cracking turns of phrase and of course some dialogue that hangs around in your mind, but all round, it just wasn’t a book that took me on the journey into the unknown that I was wanting. All round a great shame but not every book is a hit.



1 comment:

ediFanoB said...

As always I read your review with great interest. I ordered a copy of The Good, the Bad and the Infernal in advance. It will be my first Guy Adams novel.
As you said one can't love every book. I'm curious to see whether I will like it or not.