Tuesday 11 November 2014

DVD REVIEW: Witches of the East End - 20th Century Fox

Release Date: 27/10/14
Publisher:  20th Century Fox

SYNOPSIS:

Witches of East End stars Julia Ormond as Joanna Beauchamp, an ageless mother trying to keep a supernatural secret from her daughters, Freya (Jenna Dewan-Tatum) and Ingrid (Rachel Boston), so they can lead a normal life. But when Joanna's estranged sister (Mädchen Amick) arrives to warn her of an evil entity out to destroy them all, Joanna is forced to reveal the truth about her family's magical legacy. Co-starring Virginia Madsen, Eric Winter and Daniel DiTomasso, this powerful and enchanting drama series will cast its spell on you!

Special features:
Falling Under Their Spell
Deleted Scenes
Gag Reel
Cat Blooper


Episode List:
Pilot
Marilyn Fenwick, R.I.P.
Today I Am a Witch
Few Good Talismen, A
Electric Avenue
Potentia Noctis
Unburied
Snake Eyes
Parching Imbued, A
Falling Under Their Spell


REVIEW:

OK, I am aware of the books that this series is based on and whilst I haven’t read them, I jumped into this having seen the adverts for series two being advertised (Ed note: the TV series has been cancelled after the conclusion of the second season with multiple threads lest open.)

Whilst I wasn’t sure what to expect the first episode took me back to watching the original series of Charmed and whilst it was only the witchcraft that was the same theme throughout the two the supernatural characters in this one felt more than a little out of sink with the others sharing their screen time.

Don’t get me wrong, it was definitely something that after a few more episodes that I got into however if I’d just watched the first and left it at that I may well have thought not much to it. It does get more interesting and gripping the further into it that you get. All round something a little different and whilst it has a familiarity that supernatural fans can get into.

No comments: