Thursday 20 November 2014

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: Ghosts of Manhattan - George Mann

Release Date: 12/09/14
Publisher:  Titan

SYNOPSIS:

The United States finds itself locked in a diplomatic standoff with a British Empire who has only just buried Queen Victoria, her life artificially preserved to the age of 107. The hub of both the excesses and power of the states, New York stands as a gaudy beacon for a country trying to drown its troubles in illegal gin. It's a society on the brink of destruction, where any low level crook could be the tipping balance into lawlessness and disorder.


REVIEW:

To be honest with you, I was more than interested in the book because of the concepts involved. I like the sound of how Steampunk, superhero and of course gritty noir would be blended together in a kind of Sin City amalgam that should have been nigh impossible to put down.

However for me this title was fairly flat. I didn’t like the principle character, I thought that the action was too unbelievable and when added to an overall arc that really didn’t travel anywhere for me as a reader, left me feeling more than a little cheated. Sadly not a world I’ll be revisiting at any time soon.

No comments: