Tuesday 19 April 2016

SCIENCE FICTION DYSTOPIAN REVIEW: The Ship - Antonia Honeywell

Release Date: 10/03/16
Publisher:  Weidenfeld and Nicolson

SYNOPSIS:

Welcome to London, but not as you know it. Oxford Street burned for three weeks; Regent's Park has been bombed; the British Museum is occupied by those with nowhere else to go.

Lalla has grown up sheltered from the chaos, but now she's sixteen, her father decides it's time to use their escape route - a ship big enough to save five hundred people. Once on board, as day follows identical day, Lalla's unease grows. Where are they going? What does her father really want? What is the price of salvation?


REVIEW:

I read this book a while ago and whilst I could have written the review earlier, I always like to sit back and savour as well as think my way through the quandaries, the characters thoughts and questions that the novel raises. Its dark, it has hope and all round for me as a reader, Antonia brings the titles cast to life.

The writing is crisp, the prose spot on and for me what really adds the sparkle is the dialogue, its easy to see how the thought processes work, what families are prepared to do to save themselves and all round how they come to live with their choices. It’s a book of many facets and all round, a title that I was more than pleased I took the time to read.

No comments: