Wednesday 11 January 2012

FANTASY REVIEW: Babylon Steel - Gaie Sebold

Release Date: 05/01/11

SYNOPSIS:

abylon Steel, ex-sword-for-hire, ex… other things, runs the best brothel in Scalentine; city of many portals, two moons, and a wide variety of races, were-creatures, and religions, not to mention the occasional insane warlock.
She’s not having a good week. The Vessels of Purity are protesting against brothels, women in the trade are being attacked, it’s tax time, and there’s not enough money to pay the bill. So when the mysterious Darask Fain offers her a job finding a missing girl, Babylon decides to take it. But the missing girl is not what she seems, and neither is Darask Fain. In the meantime twomoon is approaching, and more than just a few night’s takings are at risk when Babylon’s hidden past reaches out to grab her by the throat.

Babylon Steel sees the start of an an exciting new fantasy series.


REVIEW:

OK, so you’ve gone through a truck load of fantasy, you’ve slaughtered thousands with Conan, defended your homeland from invading armies and stood up against the oppressor. Yet you still want more and something a little different to boot. So what are you going to do?

Well my advice to you is try this title from Gaie Sebold. It’s dark, it is twisted and it has characters that the readers will love. The world is one that has a realistic flavour and when you add mystery into the adventure alongside a hint of forgotten realms and the reader really will be in for a treat. Finally add to the concoction solid prose, great twists and a story that kicks ass from start to finish and you really will be kicking the New Year off with a bang. Cracking.

2 comments:

ediFanoB said...

I don't know how you do that. There must be hidden magic in use.

I do not like everything you review. But ever second or third review is about a book I must buy after reading your review or it is about books which I bought recently.
I remember that I ordered a copy of Babylon Steel after I read the synopsis. I know that is a kind of hit or fail strategy. But I must say my hit rate is not that bad.

After reading your review I know I bought another hit.

I appreciate your review style because you concentrate on the basics without giving away any spoiler.

Your reading speed is incredible. For me it seems you read like a cheetah and I read like a snail.
But that does not matter for me as long as I can read and enjoy excellent books which I find on your blog.

Angela Addams said...

I like dark and twisted! Fantasy is not really my thing but this one sounds great! I like tough female leads!