Friday 13 January 2012

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: Black Sun's Daughter 1: Unclean Spirits - MLN Hanover

Release Date: 05/01/12

SYNOPSIS:

The first novel in a bold and fast-paced new urban fantasy series starring Jayné Heller, a young college student who inherits a string of houses across the world, several bank accounts, and a very unconventional business from her murdered uncle. And it turns out Uncle Eric has been fighting to rid the world of supernatural riders - demons, vampires, werewolves and all sorts of other nasty parasites - since before Jayné was born. Now it's up to Jayné to avenge her uncle's death and continue his mission - if she can survive her first week on the job.


REVIEW:

Originally I thought that MLN Hanover was a new author so I was really looking forward to seeing what would occur in a paranormal genre that’s heavily laden with almost mythical heroes, vamps and of course magic weilders, so when I learned that the name was a pseudonym for an author whose fantasy titles I loved I was a little apprehensive as I didn’t want to ruin my own reading pleasure with a title that didn’t fit into what they did.

What unfurled however was a well thought out, cunningly crafted title with a new take on magic, were’s and other “riders” which made this a tale that I could really get my teeth into and when added with a good sense of prose, some decent action and a whole host of chaos with casualties based on the lead characters choices I found it a story I couldn’t leave alone. Add to this some interesting dialogue which when backed with all the traits that I like from Daniel Abraham’s writing (solid characters having to deal with a world that’s given them lemons) with a good dash of flaws and it was a story that left me wanting more. I’ll look forward to seeing where it goes.

1 comment:

Danielle La Paglia said...

Sounds like a good read. Thanks!