Tuesday 25 June 2013

URBAN FANTASY DVD REVIEW: Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters - Jeremy Rener, Gemma Atherton - Paramount Home Entertainment

Release Date: 24/06/13
Publisher:  Paramount Home Entertainment

SYNOPSIS:

Get ready for a twisted take on the classic tale as Hansel (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton) have turned pro, coping with the trauma of their childhood captivity by slaying witches for hire. But when the seemingly unstoppable bounty hunters meet their match in an enemy so evil, it'll take all their training, weapons and courage to survive.

Special Features:
The Witching Hours



REVIEW:

OK, this was a film I’ve been looking forward to for quite some time. I loved Jeremy Renner in roles he’s played before and with the addition of Gemma Arterton and the beautiful Famke Janssen I thought it would be a pretty good film all round. That unfortunately was as good as it got as to be honest I felt that the script was pretty poor. Don’t get me wrong, the actors do a reasonable job with what they’re given but all round the film was slow in places and didn’t really seek to explore any number of themes that could have not only made it better for the viewer but also made you care about the various fates of the cast within.

Effect wise they were reasonable and for this film this is where the majority of the money was spent I suspect and as a viewer whilst I was entertained to a certain degree, I really won’t be watching it again any time soon as I felt that it was all visual with very little else. All round a great disappointment and if they were to make a sequel I would suggest something that focuses more on the cast helping them to grow rather than just another action flick with Van Helsing style weaponry.




No comments: