Sunday 14 October 2012

SCIENCE FICTION REVIEW: The Fractal Prince - Hannu Rajaniemi

Release Date: 27/09/12

SYNOPSIS:

Jean le Flambeur is out of prison, but still not free. To pay his debts he has to break into the mind of a living god. But when the stakes are revealed, Jean has to decide how far he is willing to go to get the job done. The sequel to Hannu Rajaniemi's extraordinary debut novel is set to build on the extravagant promise of one of the most exciting new voices to come out of the genre this century.


REVIEW:

Having read the original title by Hannu and remembering how complex the overall arc along with the science was, I decided to embark on a reread prior to starting this title, and boy, was I happy I did as the tale is not only complex but really isn’t a book for someone to jump into without understanding what’s gone before.

As with the original the writing is crisp, the author seeking to take the genre in a new direction that not only interests but overloads on the possibilities which overall make this a book that I thought was pretty solid and something that I’ll reread again to see what I’ve missed in the original reading. Add to this an interesting cast which when backed with a unique writing style that identifies the author uniquely and all in I was more than satisfied with this book.



No comments: