Thursday 11 October 2012

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: The Dark Heroine: Dinner with a Vampire - Abigail Gibbs

Release Date: 11/10/12

SYNOPSIS:

The addictive, enthralling debut by online sensation Abigail Gibbs. The sexiest romance you’ll read this year.

One moment can change your life forever…

For Violet Lee, a chance encounter on a darkened street draws her into a world beyond her wildest imaginings, a timeless place of vast elegance and immeasurable wealth – of beautiful mansions and lavish parties – where a decadent group of friends live for pleasure alone. A place from which there is no escape… no matter how hard Violet tries.

Yet all the riches in the world can’t mask the darkness that lies beneath the gilded surface, embodied in the charismatic but dangerous Kaspar Varn.

Violet and Kaspar surrender to a passion that transcends their separate worlds – but it’s a passion that comes at a price.

As featured on BBC Breakfast, Sky News, Sunday Times, Guardian, Mail Online, Huffington Post and Sugarscape.



REVIEW:

To be honest when I’m always a little apprehensive when I read words such as “online sensation” or publisher descriptions telling me that it’s the “sexiest romance I’ll read this year.” Then the author blurb mentions that she wrote it over three years from the age of fifteen. Almost as if they’re making excuses for the errors within, so it was with apprehension alongside worry that I started this book and whilst my opinion is my own, I make no distinction whether the book is written by a young author or an older one.

What unfurled within was a story that felt overly descriptive to the cost of the tales pace, the characters didn’t flow and to be honest rather than having a realistic feel to them to help give the reader the believability that they’d desire, left me feeling like it was more just to cover bases so that the writer could get on with it. Add to this a story that for me, could have been better edited with no real pace management and all in I felt rather disappointed. A great shame.



1 comment:

Dana said...

Thanks for this review - I was wondering about this one.

-Dana