Wednesday 31 October 2012

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: The Mist in the Mirror - Susan Hill

Release Date: 25/10/12

SYNOPSIS:

For the last twenty years Sir James Monmouth has been a gentleman adventurer, journeying all over the globe in the footsteps of his hero, the great pioneering traveller Conrad Vane. One rainy winter night, Sir James returns to London. Orphaned at five, it is now time to find out more about his family and origins, and also to learn about the early years of Conrad Vane. But at every turn James is warned off his investigation into Conrad Vane. Do these warnings explain his flashes of intense fear and feelings of being watched? And what of the boy who has started haunting his every step and the mysterious mirror with its inexplicable reflections? Eventually, Sir James' quest leads him to the old lady of Kittiscar Hall, and deep into a past that binds him to his hero in ways he never could have imagined.


REVIEW:

With the dark nights closing in there are times when you want something to chill you as you have a sneaky read whilst wrapped up in your duvet so having had one title of Susan’s writing prior to this, I’d had my curiosity aroused enough to demand a copy of this book to settle down with.

Whilst that was my initial intention, settling down wasn’t exactly what I got as I found that reading by booklight, with a quite house and the wind blowing hard outside along with driving rain, didn’t exactly help me to relax whilst reading the chilling title that landed.

It definitely had a solid lead character, some great twists and of course did exactly what I wanted by raising the hackles on the back of my neck quite a few times as I made my way through the pages, almost relieved when dawn was creeping through my curtains as I finished off the last few pages.

All in I had a lot of fun with this book and whilst I did have a sleepless night as I couldn’t put it down I really did get what I’d wanted and was more than happy, I’ll definitely embark on another tale by Susan in the future.



No comments: