Thursday 29 September 2011

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: Dark Carpathians 22: Dark Predator - Christine Feehan

Release Date: 29/09/11

SYNOPSIS:

As brutal as the undead he hunted, Zacarias De La Cruz was a master executioner. Over the long, dark centuries, he plunged into so many battles they blurred into an endless lifetime of evil that hardened the soul of this merciless, ruthless and implacable dark predator.

Now his stark and savage journey is over. After a thousand years in a grey world, he has accomplished everything he set out to do. His brothers are safeguarded. Each has found a woman who completes them. And they are at peace. For his brothers, Zacarias has walked the edge of madness, but with centuries as a killing machine now left to the past and without a hunt to define him, Zacarias wonders, for the first time in his life, who he really is.

The answer awaits him back home in Peru, in the betrayal of a woman who is readying her trap, in the vengeance of an old enemy, in the inevitable consequences of a bloody family legacy, and in the deliverance of a lifemate he never could have imagined.


REVIEW:

To be honest with you, whilst I’ve enjoyed the Dark Carpathian titles this one felt a bit of a let-down, the lead female was demur and as such I couldn’t find much to like about her which made this a real struggle to get through. Add to that the lead male was all me, me, me within and it really was a title that I felt I could have missed.

That said, I could see the ideas and concepts behind the overall tale but sadly it’s the execution that fell more than a little flat for me. Add to this repetitive use of themes from previous outings and an author who needs a break from some of the wider arcs and it’s a title that you can quite easily miss without denting the series too much for future releases.

1 comment:

Bea said...

This is the kindest review I've seen for this book, though you bring up most of the same problems that other reviews have. I stopped reading this series several years ago and this book isn't inspiring me to read more.