Wednesday 3 June 2015

FANTASY REVIEW: The Return of Ravanna 1: Pyre - David Hair

Release Date: 04/06/15
Publisher:  Jo Fletcher Books

SYNOPSIS:

Mandore, Rajasthan, 769 AD: Ravindra-Raj, the evil sorcerer-king, devises a deadly secret ritual, where he and his seven queens will burn on his pyre, and he will rise again with the powers of Ravana, demon-king of the epic Ramayana. But things go wrong when one queen, the beautiful, spirited Darya, escapes with the help of Aram Dhoop, the court poet.

Jodhpur, Rajasthan, 2010: At the site of ancient Mandore, teenagers Vikram, Amanjit, Deepika and Rasita meet and realize that the deathless king and his ghostly brides are hunting them down. As vicious forces from the past come alive, they need to unlock truths that have been hidden for centuries, and fight an ancient battle... one more time.


REVIEW:

I love a journey that take me into something I’m not that familiar with and in this case this title by David Hair takes me on a journey into the mythos of India. Its quite refreshing to be thrust into something I know next to nothing about and when you add two timelines merging into the storyline, all round generates a book that I had a pretty good time reading.

That said however I did find in some places it dragged yet for the overall tale, it did feel pretty solid and with a clear love of the subject matter the passion of the author shines through. I’ll look forward to seeing what the second title hits back with.

No comments: