Friday 30 March 2012

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: The Return Man - VM Zito

Release Date: 29/03/12

SYNOPSIS:

The outbreak tore the USA in two. The east remains a safe haven. The west has become a ravaged wilderness. They call it the Evacuated States.

It is here that Henry Marco makes his living. Hired by grieving relatives, he tracks down the dead to deliver peace.

Now Homeland Security wants Marco, for a mission unlike any other. He must return to California, where the apocalypse began. Where a secret is hidden. And where his own tragic past waits to punish him again.

But in the wastelands of America, you never know who - or what - is watching you . .


REVIEW:

The best thing about getting a new author is that you know that its going to be an all out war to win your affection. However whilst I always love a new author, when something is billed as “ideal for fans of the Walking Dead” I ended up a little put off as I couldn’t get into the TV series.

Sadly that one little thing stopped me ripping my way through this faster than a zombie through a still living person and now I’ve finished it, I have to say that its one of my favourite Zombie debuts of all time as well as making this a title that’s going to be well up on my UF favourites for the year.

It’s well written and whilst the concept on paper is remarkably simple, it is one that will attract readers the world over as the stories hero is manipulated into doing the governments bidding. Add to this shady Government dealings, foreign power interaction and a hero whose kept in the dark and overall this story really will grab you firmly by the unmentionables until the last page is turned. All in a cracking story and when backed with an author whose writing style I couldn’t get enough of, definitely a title to get before the hype hits.

1 comment:

Angela Addams said...

I've been really toying with some ideas in this genre myself --leaving aside the romance for a minute...this looks like a good one to explore.