Release Date: 10/02/12
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world action role-playing game set in Amalur, a mysterious and magical new fantasy world created by New York Times bestselling author R. A. Salvatore. Brought to life visually through the trademark style of renowned artist and Spawn creator Todd McFarlane, Reckoning brings a new level of visual style and visceral action combat to the RPG genre. The game is being developed under the leadership of Ken Rolston, lead designer of the critically acclaimed RPGs Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
Reckoning combines intense third-person action combat with deep exploration, expansive character development and customization, and immersive storytelling in an extraordinarily detailed fantasy universe. Gamers begin their journey when they miraculously rise from the dead, wielding dangerous new magic capable of changing the very Fate of Amalur. Thrust into a brutal war between multiple races, factions, and alliances, players vie for the secrets of their immortality and the ancient evil that threatens to consume the world.
The lore of Kingdoms of Amalur spans an epic course of 10,000 years of history created by R. A. Salvatore. Reckoning captures a moment in this history, the tale of a singular hero capable of reshaping the fate of the world of Amalur. Every building, tree, and creature has a clear and defined history within this immersive world filled with extraordinary landscapes, mysterious cities, colorful characters, and fantastic creatures inspired by the legendary art style of Todd McFarlane.
Developed by Big Huge Games in Baltimore & Curt Schilling’s 38 Studios in Providence, Rhode Island, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning™ will be available in 2012 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.
* Intense Action Combat in an RPG – Create your own unique combat style, choosing from among nine different melee weapon classes and dozens of devastating spells in Reckoning's unique Action Magic combat system. Eradicate your enemies in grand fight sequences featuring brutal Fateshift finishing moves that will redefine visceral RPG combat.
* Open World RPG Design Led by Ken Rolston – Play your way through 60+ hours of riveting storyline, diverse side quests, and open-world exploration created by RPG gurus Ken Rolston (Lead Designer, Morrowind, Oblivion), Creative Director Mark Nelson (Lead Designer, Shivering Isles; Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3), and Lead Designer Ian Frazier (Titan Quest).
* Rich Fiction and Storytelling by R.A. Salvatore – Reckoning is set in the Kingdoms of Amalur universe and its 10,000 years of deep fiction created by 22-time New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore.
* Art and Action Directed by Todd McFarlane – Brought to life through the direction of renowned Spider-Man artist Todd McFarlane, creator of Spawn and Founder of Image Comics, Reckoning brings you intense action combat, hordes of gruesome enemies, and beautifully realized fantasy vistas.
* Choose Your Destiny – Create your character from dozens of unique skills and abilities, and further customize it as Reckoning's revolutionary new Destiny System unlocks powerful new Destinies based on how you choose to play. Millions of combinations of weapons and armor allow you complete the character that looks and plays the way you've always hoped.
Having had a lot of fun playing Skyrim, I was initially wondering what I was letting myself in for with another fantasy title so close together. What this title brings that Skyrim doesn’t is the writing talents of RA Salvatore with the warped mind of Todd McFarlane to bring an action adventure that has all the elements to keep you not only glued but eagerly fighting your way through to see what the tale has in store for you next.
It’s huge, it is addictive and each death leaves you grabbing the controller tighter determined to get back to saving the world. The varieties of armour are cracking, the weapon options amazing and with various styles that suit every player it really is a game that will be staying in my top five for the year.
Finally add to this, value of money due to the scope and options, back that up with decent animation alongside variety and overall this game is one with multiple replay value as you learn what suits your skills. Definitely worth trying out each class and having as much fun as possible. Great stuff all in.