Thursday 22 March 2012

URBAN FANTASY ROMANCE REVIEW: Immortality Bites 4: Stakes and Stiletto's - Michelle Rowen

Release Date: 08/03/12

SYNOPSIS:

'My name is Sarah Dearly. Fledgling vampire and part-time bartender, at your service. Welcome to my highly disfunctional life.' Newly-vamped Sarah Dearly wants her normal life back, but fate is fighting against her. She tries to get a nice, regular job - and gets staked at the interview, only to be rescued by a masked vampire who calls himself the Red Devil. Then a wallflower-turned-witch curses her, making her a bloodthirsty, sun-allergic nightwalker - the worst vampire there is. As if all that weren't bad enough, she can't get married because her 600-year-old boyfriend Thierry is in a centuries-long marriage of convenience he can't escape. As Sarah's nightwalker tendencies make her more dangerous, even to those she loves, she'll have to counteract that curse, unmask the increasingly intriguing Red Devil, and - oh yeah ' get a commitment from her man. But if that's what it takes to secure her happiness, Sarah is ready ...even if it means embracing her inner vamp to do it.


REVIEW:

There are times when all I want is a different type of tale that gives me adventure with a touch of humour. In the Urban Fantasy genre for me that need is usually sorted by authors like Jim Butcher whose Harry Dresden series is a real guilty pleasure. Yet whilst I get a lot from that, he is a little sparse on the romance and for me, at times, as the Beatles once said “All you need is Love.”

To that end I decided to try Michelle Rowen’s Immortality Bites series and whilst this is the fourth book, I did enjoy what unravelled within the pages as I had a wonderful recap at the beginning that meant whilst I know I’ve missed a hell of a lot from the previous three books, Michelle has been kind enough to give a brief recap so that I can get down to the nitty gritty and enjoy what is to occur.

What happens within is a tale of chaos, a tale of love and of course a tale with the lead character finding new ways to not only get herself into trouble whilst trying to get out of some more, but presents a title that is not afraid to laugh at itself. Its bizarre and yet it allows readers to see that vampires are human too. Yes they are sexy, yes there’s the love story but at the end of the day despite certain physiological differences, it allows the reader to associate with them in so many different ways as to make this compulsory reading.

Add to this a quirky yet fun writing style and this book was a whole lot of fun as well as being something a little different for me to devour. Great fun.

No comments: