Wednesday 30 September 2015

URBAN CRIME THRILLER: Dreamland - Robert L Anderson

Release Date: 24/09/15
Publisher:  Hodder

SYNOPSIS:

Dea Donahue has been able to travel through people's dreams since she was six years old. Her mother taught her the three rules of walking: Never interfere. Never be seen. Never walk the same person's dream more than once. Dea has never questioned her mother, not about the rules, not about the clocks or the mirrors, not about moving from place to place to be one step ahead of the unseen monsters that Dea's mother is certain are right behind them.

Then a mysterious new boy, Connor, comes to town and Dea finally starts to feel normal. As Connor breaks down the walls that she's had up for so long, he gets closer to learning her secret. For the first time she wonders if that's so bad. But when Dea breaks the rules, the boundary between worlds begins to deteriorate. How can she know what's real and what's not?


REVIEW:

This book was a strange one. Firstly I loved the premise and with that to give me a good start, I opened the first page and started reading.

What unfurled within was a story that had a good few parts to it, it had mystery, it had a thriller element and blended together with a solid principle character allowed the reader to embark upon a journey that took a good few twists and turns to keep you on your toes.

That said, I have to say that I did have a few problems with the title. Firstly I didn’t think it was very well written, I found the prose a little bit jumpy, rather than a smooth ride and whilst I thought the dialogue was OK, for me as a reader having so many chops and changes jarred the writing style so much for me that I had a hard time going from one scene to another. Don’t get me wrong its full of promise, it does have a great potential but at the end of the day it lacked a smoothness that I wanted and then finished a bit too quickly to allow a solid ending.

No comments: