Tuesday 15 September 2015

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: The Time of the Clockmaker - Anna Caltabiano

Release Date: 27/08/15
Publisher:  Gollancz

SYNOPSIS:

Her mentor shockingly killed in front of her, Rebecca Hatfield must flee the place and time she knows. She has lost her family, her dearest love and her ability to live a normal life. All she has left is the gift - or curse - of her immortality, and the bizarre clock that allows her to travel in time.

But when she too is attacked by the mysterious black-clad figure, Rebecca finds herself stranded in Tudor England. The clock has been stolen and without it, she can never leave the past. Alone, without friends or resources, she must risk the danger of Henry VIII's court and hunt down her attacker.

But someone else is waiting for her...


REVIEW:

The second book to feature Miss Hatfield and to be honest after the debacle of the first one I thought it was a series I wouldn’t return to as I had so many problems with it. Yet as a reader I’m not prepared to give up on an author on one book.

Having picked this title up, I have to say that I wish I hadn’t. As with the first the characters development was sadly lacking, the plot as outlandish as ever and all in left me wondering why I’d bothered. Sadly I am now more than prepared to ignore this series, although if Anna writes something else entirely I’ll give her work a whirl as I do see a writing style that I could love with the right combination of character/plot.

No comments: