Friday 7 August 2009

INTERVIEW: Markus Heitz

With last years David Gemmell Award Winner coming from Poland, you'd probably be surprised at the number of foreign authors that are currently getting translated to present new fiction to the market. Fantasy is ahead of the trend with more foreign authors per genre than many others proving that fantasy fans enjoy a well woven tale no matter what language it originally appeared in. Markus Heitz is perhaps a prime example as he's sold well in not only his native Germany but also in Russia and other Eastern Countries. Now for the first time, his epic Dwarves series appears in English and will undoubtably conquer many a fantasy fan with the sheer scope and talent behind the thus far quartet. Markus chats about writing, his life and above all how the fate of worlds can be decided by those lowest to the ground...

FT: Writing is said to be something that people are afflicted with rather than gifted and that it's something you have to do rather than want. What is your opinion of this statement and how true is it to you?

MH: I would say, that creativity is a sweet curse. I can't stop thinking about stories, new stories, new projects. After three days of doing nothing, I get nervous and have to write. But it’s been part of my life since I was 14 years old. And I’m sure I will always write, even if no one wants to read my forthcoming books - I hope that THIS will never happen!


FT: When did you realise that you wanted to be a writer?

MH: When I was 14 I wrote my first shortstory. It was not more than a few lines on a DinA5-page. But the stories grew, and I realised that writing in general is a beautiful thing! At 17, I wanted to be a writer, but after finishing school, I studied to become a teacher. But I abandoned this aim, made some money as a freelancer journalist and wrote books instead. Then came the success of The Dwarves... and since 2004, I am inventing stories full-time. Hooray! There is no better way for me.


FT: It is often said that if you can write a short story you can write anything. How true do you think this is and what have you written that either proves or disproves this POV?

MH: I don't know. I started with shortstories so perhaps that is a proof.


FT: If someone were to enter a bookshop, how would you persuade them to try your novel over someone else's and how would you define it?

MH: Haha, I am not a bookseller and don't know the tricks. But I would say: "Buy this, try this and come back if you finish it. I’ll ask you three questions about the novel and if you can answer, you will win 10,000 bucks." Evil, I know. But I guess it would work!
I would define the novel as: "A big book about small ones with a good heart and an iron will. Not forgetting the great tasting beer!"


FT: How would you "sell" your book in 20 words or less?

MH: "Buy this. It could save your life to know something about fighting against orcs. Doesn't your boss look like an orc?"


FT: Who is a must have on your bookshelf and whose latest release will find you on the bookshops doorstep waiting for it to open?

MH: Latest release of another author? ... no chance. I have no time to read. I must write, you know.


FT: When you sit down and write do you know how the story will end or do you just let the pen take you? ie Do you develop character profiles and outlines for your novels before writing them or do you let your idea's develop as you write?

MH: Everything is plotted from the beginning to the end, stories and characters. Sometimes, scenes change a little bit while I am writing, but I keep the overview.


FT: What do you do to relax and what have you read recently?

MH: I do Karate, listen to music (Gothic things), like to cook (Indian style) and meet with friends. I read only magazines, like STERN or SPIEGEL.


FT: What is your guiltiest pleasure that few know about?

MH: Hum.... I am boring. I have none. Except for... no. This is not a pleasure. :o)


FT: Lots of writers tend to have pets. What do you have and what are their key traits (and do they appear in your novel in certain character attributes?)

MH: No miaow, no wuff, no moowh. In other words: no pets! In my childhood, I often visited a farm.


FT: Which character within your latest book was the most fun to write and why?

MH: In my latest book "Die Legenden der Albae", which is about the bad guys and anti-Elbs, this was Sinthoras and Caphalor. They are bad, evil and at the same time sophisticated.


FT: How similar to your principle protagonist are you?

MH: Looking to Sinthoras and Caphalor: I hope, in no single way.... Looking to Tungdil: Well, we both like black beer.


FT: What hobbies do you have and how do they influence your work?

MH: As I mentioned before: Karate (no influence) and cooking - sometimes I create cookies and recipes for meals, which find their way in the books.


FT: Where do you get your idea's from?

MH: This is easy - from everywhere. I can't say it more precisely. Ideas can hit me any place, any time. That's the reason I have always something to write on with me: a black Moleskine book.


FT: Do you ever encounter writers block and if so how do you overcome it?

MH: No, I haven't yet had this block.


FT: Certain authors are renowned for writing at what many would call uncivilised times. When do you write and how do the others in your household feel about it?

MH: I write from 9am to 6pm, with a little break for dinner and tea. This is my regular drug: black tea, the hardest, blackest leaves, like Assam or indeed the english variations. Or I brew indian spice tea, fresh and hot, with real spices. Kicks the mind!


FT: Sometimes pieces of music seem to influence certain scenes within novels, do you have a soundtrack for your tale or is it a case of writing in silence with perhaps the odd musical break in-between scenes?

MH: I have a wide collection of different soundtracks, depending on the scene which I am writing. I also listen to Russian classical music.


FT: What misconceptions, if any, did you have about the writing and publishing field when you were first getting started?

MH: Nothing. Everything was fine. Sorry for this...


FT: If music be the food of love, what do you think writing is and please explain your answer?

MH: Writing is the food for soul and imagination.
Because: Every reader "sees" the scene, while reading the book, in their own way. They only need imagination and I can let them have adventures, feel with the heroes in good and bad days and be a part of the story.


FT: What can you tell us about the next novel?

MH: That there will be always a next novel.

In Germany, this will be "Drachenkaiser" which means "Emperor of the Dragons". It is set in the Golden Twenties and it is about dragons, Dragonfighters, Airships and Doubledeckers, séances and magic mixed up with real history of the 20s.

One of the cities, which are important, is York. I mean, a city with 500(!) ghosts in it, THIS is a invitation for an author like me! And the pub The Golden Fleece.

In the UK The Dwarves has just been published (Orbit, £7.99) and the next in the series The War of the Dwarves will be out on the 4th March 2010.


FT: What are the last five internet sites that you've visited?

MH amazon.de, spiegel.de, phantastik-news.de, schattenmond.com, stern.de


FT: Did you ever take any writing classes or specific instructions to learn the craft? If so please let us know which ones.

MH: I didn't. I studied german literature and history and got my magister-degree, but this has nothing to do with writing, I think. I did roleplaying for 16 years, many years as a gamemaster. This was a good preparation for storytelling.


FT: How did you get past the initial barriers of criticism and rejection?

MH: Believe in the stories. Believe in writing and NEVER SURRENDER!


FT: In your opinion, what are the best and worst aspects of writing for a living?

MH: The best: everything is possible. All you need is a pencile and sheet of paper, and you can build worlds and universes and more.

The worst: Writing is drug. You can't stop...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to read how other writers work and how they view writing, how they made it.

dbreynolds said...

I've been reading Science Fiction and Fantasy for years. And it's the one genre that knows no geographic borders.

Great interview!

DBR