Tuesday 4 August 2009

Lucinda Hare Interview

Writing is said to be a lonely pursuit however the key to getting published is never to give up as debut Young Adult author Lucinda Hare goes to prove. After no agent would take her on she decided to tackle the publishers head on until one, Random House, liked what they saw and took a chance on her. With the first book due out today (see our review just after this interview) its the beginning of a new journey for her, to keep her readers happy in the pursuit of The Dragon Whisperer, here we chat to her about Sorcerers, the Special Dragon Services and of course what you do with so many tons of dragon manure...


Falcata Times: Writing is said to be something that people are afflicted with rather than gifted and that it's something you have to do rather than want. What is your opinion of this statement and how true is it to you?

Lucinda Hare: I don’t agree with this. I think any creative pursuit has to be something you want to do. Once a task becomes something you have to do, it becomes a lodestone around your neck. There are many jobs you can do relying on experience to get you through, but I would find anything creative such as writing impossible if I had to force it.


FT: When did you realise that you wanted to be a writer?

LH: I didn’t realise I wanted to be a writer, but I have always wanted to share my ideas. From my early childhood I’ve expressed what I’ve imagined through my drawing and illustrations, and latterly through other creative arts like glass painting which helped pay the vet bills! It wasn’t until I was given the opportunity and time to write by my husband, that I discovered I could put these same ideas into words. Writing for me is the culmination of all my other interests.


FT: It is often said that if you can write a short story you can write anything. How true do you think this is and what have you written that either proves or disproves this POV?

LH: I can’t write a short story to save myself. I think that comes down to having too many ideas in my head and not being disciplined enough to pare them down into a short story!


FT: If someone were to enter a bookshop, how would you persuade them to try your novel over someone else's and how would you define it?

LH: I have a couple of really nice reviews. I’d let them sell the story for me!


FT: How would you "sell" your book in 20 words or less?

LH: Imagine you could talk to dragons…


FT: Who is a must have on your bookshelf and whose latest release will find you on the bookshops doorstep waiting for it to open?

LH: I have a huge number of authors on my shelf; Manda Scott, Jonathan Stroud, Dorothy Dunnett, Tolkien, Tom Clancy, Robin Hobb, the list is endless; but I recently discovered Steven Erikson’s fabulous series, A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, so, I am waiting for Dust of Dreams to land on the doorstep.


FT: When you sit down and write do you know how the story will end or do you just let the pen take you? ie Do you develop character profiles and outlines for your novels before writing them or do you let your idea's develop as you write?

LH: I have a rough idea of where the story will end but no idea how I will get there. Character profiles develop as the story does, but I do have an outline structure for the book to work within. Ideas crop up any time night or day that will take the story in a new direction or will allow me to link up ideas into the overall book. Having said that, I have no idea how The Dragonsdome Chronicles are going to end.


FT: What do you do to relax and what have you read recently?

LH: I do lots of things to relax. I listen to music, read, and spend time with my husband and all our rescued animals. We like cooking and having friends round for a meal. I follow series on TV like the Tudors, Boston Legal and Battlestar Galactica, and we go to the cinema quite a lot. I’m currently reading: Steven Erikson’s Toll the Hounds, Robin Hobb’s Fool’s Fate and Angie Sage’s Flyte.


FT: What is your guiltiest pleasure that few know about?

LH: I’m a vegetarian who loves meat and hates vegetables, beans and pulses; but I love animals more. It’s constantly hard work to ensure I don’t lapse, particularly if we are out and I don’t like the vegetarian option (which happens a lot!)


FT: Lots of writers tend to have pets. What do you have and what are their key traits (and do they appear in your novel in certain character attributes?)

LH: We have lots of animals in our family and I could write a book about their key traits. At the moment we have three dogs, five cats, three rabbits, three guinea pigs and five ex-battery hens. They are all rescued animals; many of them arrived with behavioural problems. They feature very strongly in my writing, and many of their characteristics are mirrored by my dragons. I have to pick out Rufus, otherwise known as the ginger fur ball. He is a huge ginger cat who has ‘character’ and a lot of attitude. Everyone, including the dogs, respect him and only I handle him! When I’m not at home I really miss him, and so it was from that, that I first got the idea for dragons having two hearts.


FT: Which character within your latest book was the most fun to write and why?

LH: I think Chasing the Stars. That dragon has a wicked sense of humour.


FT: How similar to your principle protagonist are you?

LH: Very similar at that age. Quenelda’s a tom boy. She relates to animals. She’s fascinated by the military. She’s surprisingly shy.


FT: What hobbies do you have and how do they influence your work?

LH: Principally drawing and illustration, reading, movies, F1, alpine skiing, rugby, music, animal welfare and conservation, cooking, history and military history.


FT: Where do you get your idea's from?

LH: From all my interests and beliefs. E.g. Native American culture influenced my dragon’s names, and underpin my own belief that you can talk to animals if you only take the time to listen. The ideas for stealth dragons, dragon pads, and other military terminology all stem from a life long interest in history and warfare. The Stealth Dragon Services (SDS) are modelled on our Special Air Services (SAS) and various dragons take the place of Chinook and Apache Longbow helicopters. Harrier dragons are based on Harrier jump jets and Imperial Blacks stealth dragons take the place of USA F-117 stealth fighters and B-2 Spirit stealth bombers.


FT: Do you ever encounter writers block and if so how do you overcome it?

LH: So far no I haven’t. My main difficulty has been having too many ideas.


FT: Certain authors are renowned for writing at what many would call uncivilised times. When do you write and how do the others in your household feel about it?

LH: I tend to write in the morning but can keep at it on and off all day in between doing other things. I’m not very good at focusing on just one thing. I like to have a lot going on at the same time.


FT: Sometimes pieces of music seem to influence certain scenes within novels, do you have a soundtrack for your tale or is it a case of writing in silence with perhaps the odd musical break in-between scenes?

LH: I love music and always listen when I’m writing. What I listen to depends on my mood. I am a particular fan of Hans Zimmer. His sound track for Gladiator was fabulous.


FT: What misconceptions, if any, did you have about the writing and publishing field when you were first getting started?

LH: I knew it was going to be tough to get an agent. I didn’t think it was going to be impossible.


FT: If music be the food of love, what do you think writing is and please explain your answer?

LH: Writing is a journey that can literally steal you away to another world. You open a good book and for that time you’re somewhere else entirely.


FT: What can you tell us about the next novel?

LH: I think I’d rather wait until everyone has had a chance to read The Dragon Whisperer before I reveal anything about Dragon Isle. Come back and ask me the same question in three or four months.


FT: What are the last five internet sites that you've visited?

LH: F1 / YouTube – Edward James Olmos at the UN / Amazon / BBC News / an on-line pet store buying a dog harness.


FT: Did you ever take any writing classes or specific instructions to learn the craft? If so please let us know which ones.

LH: No. I learnt the craft by writing my first book The Sorcerers Glen which is partially set in the same world as The Dragon Whisperer. I had great fun including many family and friends in the story, and basically during the course of that I improved my storytelling.


FT: How did you get past the initial barriers of criticism and rejection?

LH: That was really tough. No UK agency wanted to take me on and I nearly gave up. Instead I went directly to a publisher. My Editorial Director was very tuned into my style of writing, and really helped focus my ideas and develop the more scary characters like the hobgoblins. She introduced a much needed discipline that really helped me curb my imagination so that I didn’t stick too many ideas in one book.


FT: In your opinion, what are the best and worst aspects of writing for a living?

LH: The worst is when you are starting to write and trying to get an agent. You can go years and years without any income. Without my husband’s support I would not have been able to take that time out. The best is simply the opportunity to share your ideas with a wide audience and the delight when you get positive feedback. I’m already enjoying the contact with readers. I’m amazed at how interested people are, even before they’ve read the book, and I’m thriving on it!

No comments: