Friday 7 September 2012

CRIME THRILLER REVIEW: Rizzoli and Isles 10: Last to Die - Tess Gerritsen

Release Date: 16/08/12

SYNOPSIS:

Three children, strangers to each other, are brought together by seemingly motiveless and extreme acts of violence. Orphaned and alone, they are taken in as students at Evensong, a boarding school for emotionally traumatized children in the remote Maine wilderness. A PLACE OF SAFETY? Forensic pathologist Maura Isles already has a connection with the school - Julian 'Rat' Perkins, the 16-year-old boy she met during a previous case, is now living there. But she suspects that the Evensong founders may be using the school for their own agenda. And her concerns grow when Detective Jane Rizzoli is asked to investigate yet another attempt on the life of one of the orphans at the school ...OR A PLACE OF DANGER? What both Jane and Maura soon discover is that even a school protected by locked gates and acres of forest cannot shut out a gathering threat. When three blood-spattered twig dolls are found hanging from a tree, they wonder if the threat comes from outside the school ...or from within.


REVIEW:

I’m a huge fan of Tess’ writing so this book has been a highlight on my calendar for quite some time but then the worry crept in, would it be what I was hoping for, would the series have tainted my enjoyment of the book? Would it meet my expectations and would I also get a story that delivered what I was hoping for, blood, mystery and of course kickass heroines?

All that and more went through my brain so after sitting down with a fresh pot of coffee (I love my new reading set up) alongside having a plate of choccy biscuits to keep my strength up I cracked open the first page and began reading. What unfurled was a crime story that fit my needs to a T. I got top notch action, wonderful character interaction which when blended with the sassiness of Rizzoli alongside the calming nature of Isles really provided a great book.

Finally add to the mix a story that develops organically with the cracking writing style of an author who believes in giving the reader solid prose alongside great pace which when added to the other elements clearly demonstrates why she’s one of the top crime authors today. Magic.



No comments: