Saturday 15 September 2012

HISTORICAL FICTION REVIEW: Clash of Empires: The Red Sea - William Napier

Release Date: 05/07/12

SYNOPSIS:

The Mediterranean, 1571. For hundreds of years the Ottoman Empire has ruled the seas. But the seas are only a gateway to the lands they covet beyond.The armies of the Turk are picking off colonies and small islands, and if the Mediterranean falls, then finally perhaps the balance of power between crescent and cross will tip...It has been a momentous summer - armies assembling, Cyprus besieged and men flayed alive, their bodies displayed as trophies on opposing galleys. Now, as the sun rises on one October day, history will be written in blood. Five hours will shape history. Countries all over western Europe have sent ships and men. Caught up in it are Hodge and Ingoldsby - two young English adventurers who have survived the siege of Malta and are already living on borrowed time. Now, it seems the debt must be repaid...


REVIEW:

I love a good historical fiction title and if you want cracking action with gripping battle sequences the William does a cracking job of it. I love the way that the characters step up and keep me moving forward in the story as I learn more about the various sieges of the time period to which, if I’m honest, I was quite ignorant.

All in when you add solid prose, great pace and of course characters that you want to hang around then you’re in for a treat especially when you add some in depth research that gives an authenticity to the whole piece. Great fun all round and for me a top notch new series that is living up to my expectations.



1 comment:

ediFanoB said...

This time I bought a copy of the book before I read your review.
Anyway your review confirms my decision to get a copy.

Am I right that there will be a third book?