Sunday 30 September 2012

LADY ELEANOR HISTORICAL FICTION REVIEW: The Cousin Wars 4: The Kingmakers Daughter - Philippa Gregory

Release Date: 16/08/12

SYNOPSIS:

'I have lost my father in battle, my sister to Elizabeth Woodville's spy, my brother-in-law to Elizabeth Woodville's executioner, my nephew to her poisoner, and now my son to her curse...' The gripping and ultimately tragic story of Anne Neville and her sister Isabel, the daughters of the Earl of Warwick, the most powerful magnate in England through the Cousins' Wars. In the absence of a son and heir, he ruthlessly uses the two girls as pawns but they, in their own right, are thoughtful and powerful actors. Against the backdrop of the court of Edward IV and his beautiful queen, Elizabeth Woodville, Anne turns from a delightful child growing up in intimacy and friendship with the family of Richard Duke of York to become ever more fearful and desperate as her father's enemies turn against her, the net closes in and there is, in the end, simply nowhere she can turn, no one she can trust with her life.


REVIEW:

Having been a little disappointed with a couple of the Cousin’s War series by Philippa, I really wasn’t expecting a lot out of this book, but wow, was I wrong.

What unfurled was a book that was one of her best to date, it was beautifully written, the characters not only fully rounded but also allowed actions from one to have her seen in a different light from this stories principle characters point of view. Add to this the fact that the principle player was one that tended to be overlooked historically and all in it left me demanding more. I really can’t wait for the next story by Philippa now my faith has been restored.



No comments: