Thursday 24 May 2012

SCIENCE FICTION REVIEW: Warhammer 40K: Horus Heresy: The Primarchs - Ed. Christian Dunn

Release Date: 24/05/12

SYNOPSIS:

Created in the Emperor’s own image, the primarchs had long thought themselves to be princes of the universe and masters of their own destiny – they led the Space Marine Legions in glorious conquest of the galaxy, and no enemy of the Imperium could stand against them. However, even amongst this legendary brotherhood, the seeds of dissent had been sown long before the treacherous Warmaster Horus declared his grand heresy.


REVIEW:

I’m a massive reader of the Warhammer 40K titles so when I had the chance to get to know the originators and Primarchs of the Emperor’s Legions I really couldn’t wait to get my hands on the book. What unfurls within is a series of four short stories written by some of the top talent at Black Library, Each has their own benefits and strengths and also their weaknesses within the text.

Whilst I did enjoy the tales, I wanted something that separated these venerable warriors from the masses that were to follow in their name, I wanted tales of inspirational history that demonstrated why the Space Marines would each lay down their lives in the battle for the Emperor and of course I wanted something that really grabbed firmly from start to finish without giving you chance to breath.

What I got did do this to a certain degree but in my opinion I feel that the writers had to hold something back purely for the fact that these warriors were the originators, and whilst I felt that they did fulfil their brief I think that for me the fear of filling these boots of the Astates “God” were mighty big to fill.

All in it was a solid read and I did enjoy it despite my niggles. But for me, the best tale was saga of Alpharius and Omegon. Great stuff.



1 comment:

T. James said...

Ever since I was a teenager I've enjoyed the Warhammer setting - and it's great to see some solid books coming out that keep the universe alive for its fans.