Thursday 7 January 2016

CRIME SHORT STORY REVIEW: Death Wears a Beauty Mask and Other Stories - Mary Higgins Clark

Release Date: 17/12/15
Publisher:  Simon and Schuster

SYNOPSIS:

Collected together for the first time are 25 of Mary Higgins Clark's most acclaimed short stories. Featuring her trademark wit, style and razor-sharp plotting, this is must-have for every fan. And her most famous story, 'Death Wears a Beauty Mask', left unfinished since 1973, finally gets its spectacular ending ...


REVIEW:

I’ve read a few of Mary’s books and whilst on the whole I’ve felt that I get good story telling backed with solid writing and as a fan of short stories I was quite enthusiastic about having some travel time filled with tales that I could not only dip into but fully enjoy.

Sadly for me, whilst the writing was Ok within, it wasn’t anything that really stood out, it felt dated, the character fairly flat and sadly for me as each tale was starting to get good, it was finishing. I’m not saying that its dire, what I am saying is that short story writing is a skill that not everyone can do and for me Mary is one of those authors who excels at presenting a longer story and for me, that what I’ll be reading her for, from now on.

No comments: