Saturday 2 January 2016

CRIME THRILLER REVIEW: Rogue Lawyer - John Grisham

Release Date: 20/10/15
Publisher:  Hodder

SYNOPSIS:

I'm not a typical lawyer. I don't maintain a pretty office filled with mahogany and leather. I don't belong to a big firm, prestigious or otherwise. I don't do good works through the bar association. I'm a lone gunman, a rogue who fights bad systems and hates injustice . . .

Sebastian Rudd takes the cases no one else wants to take: the drug-addled punk accused of murdering two little girls; a crime lord on death row; a homeowner who shot at a SWAT team.

Rudd believes that every person accused of a crime is entitled to a fair trial - even if he has to cheat to get one. He antagonises people from both sides of the law: his last office was firebombed, either by drug dealers or cops. He doesn't know or care which.

But things are about to get even more complicated for Sebastian. Arch Swanger is the prime suspect in the abduction and presumed murder of 21-year-old Jiliana Kemp, the daughter of the assistant chief of police. When Swanger asks Sebastian to represent him, he lets Sebastian in on a terrible secret . . . one that will threaten everything Sebastian holds dear.

Gritty, witty, and impossible to put down, Rogue Lawyer is the master of the legal thriller at his very best.


REVIEW:

John Grisham is one of those authors that feels to a reader like he has a new book out every few months and whilst I don’t read him all that often, I am more than aware of his sheer volume of work. Wanting something different to a lot of the other books I’ve been reading recently, I picked up this latest offering and was given what felt like a ton of short stories tied together that were quickly written and ended just as abruptly.

All round it felt like a book that was just churned out to trade upon the authors name and rather than presenting a solid story with a lot of twists that his earlier titles gave me. A great shame and one that will leave me cool to his work for some time to come.

No comments: