Friday 22 November 2013

LADY ELEANOR HORROR REVIEW: The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 24 - Ed. Stephen Jones

Release Date: 24/10/13
Publisher:  Robinson Publishing

SYNOPSIS:

For nearly twenty-five years The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror has been the world's leading annual anthology dedicated solely to showcasing the best in contemporary horror fiction. Comprising the most outstanding new short fiction by both contemporary masters of horror and exciting newcomers, this multiple award-winning series also offers an overview of the year in horror, a comprehensive necrology of recent obituaries, and an indispensable directory of contact details for dedicated horror fans and writers. The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror remains the world's leading annual anthology dedicated solely to presenting the best in contemporary horror fiction.


REVIEW:

To be honest whilst I’m a fan of Horror and love the idea of a compendium bringing the best of the genre to the fore, I felt a little let down with this book as the New Wave of Horror is not really to my own personal taste. Its too safe, it tends to rely on a singular pay off line and all round really doesn’t put a chill down my spine.

Don’t get me wrong, the book does have some spectacular pieces within but when I’m not getting that chill then I feel a little let down. All round the pieces within will more than please a fair few readers as the stories are to the point, great for travel and of course give the reader a great way to kill some travel time but for me its just a so so title.

No comments: