Sunday 30 October 2016

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: The Falconer 2: The Vanishing Throne - Elizabeth May

Release Date: 19/11/15
Publisher: Gollancz

SYNOPSIS:

First the fae murdered my mother. Then they destroyed my world.

Now I'm fighting for more than revenge.

Aileana took a stand against the Wild Hunt, and she lost everything: her home, her family and her friends. Held captive by her enemy, and tormenting herself over her failure, escape seems like only the faintest possibility. But when she gets her chance, she seizes it . . . to rejoin a world devastated by war.

The future is bleak. Hunted by the fae, running for her life, Aileana has only a few options left. Trying to become part of a society scarred by - and hiding from - the Wild Hunt; trusting that a fragile alliance with the fae will save her; or walking the most dangerous path at all: coming in to her own powers as the last of the Falconers . . .


REVIEW:

OK, I read the original and thought that it was a solid enough title, but even after a reread, this one left me feeling like I didn't have a clue as to where I was with the whole story let alone the lead character as the story started in not only a weird place but took me quite a while to figure out.

That is a bad thing for me as a reader as I'm trying to make sense of something without really concentrating on whats happening at that point. You miss things, you also have trouble reattaching to characters and that can completely destroy the readers trust in the story which as a result means that they won't form the attachment that is required to help you care.

All round a book that because of my problems was one that I really didn't care for and at the end of the day left me feeling cheated and confused. Not a good thing.

No comments: