Wednesday 12 October 2016

YOUNG ADULT REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children 1: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs


Release Date: 01/08/16
Publisher: 

SYNOPSIS:

The #1 New York Times Best Seller is now a major motion picture from visionary director Tim Burton, starring Eva Green, Asa Butterfield, Ella Purnell, Samuel L. Jackson, and Judi Dench.
Bonus features
• Q&A with author Ransom Riggs
• Eight pages of color stills from the film
• Sneak preview of Hollow City, the next novel in the series

A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive. A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.


REVIEW:

To be honest I book I hadn't heard of until I saw the trailer for the Tim Burton film and a title that I was more than interested in upon reading the premise as I love something different and finding gems not only for myself to love but also my younger relatives who at times fall out of love with reading.

What this book will give them is a story that has great characters, demonstrates that whilst you're different, friendships and trust can be built and backing up your friends can help you find strengths you didn't know you had.

Its beautifully written, has good dialogue, allows good character development as our hero learns to cope with the death of his grandfather and for me, demonstrates that cracking storytelling reaches all generations.

Back this up with a whole series to sit back and enjoy and all round I was a more than happy reader. The only thing I would suggest is read the book before seeing the film as personally (whilst I haven't seen it yet, I tend to get way more from books.) Great stuff.


1 comment:

Rebecca said...

The book and the movie are so different. I read this a while ago, read the entire series, and the movie seems to be a mash up of all three books.
Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
Follow me on Bloglovin'