Monday 12 December 2011

DVD REVIEW: Conan - Jason Momoa, Ron Perlman, Rose McGowan

Release Date:

SYNOPSIS:

When a powerful force of supernatural evil threatens to destroy Hyboria, legendary Cimmerian warrior Conan (Jason Momoa) raises his sword against mythical monsters and treacherous enemies. Ron Perlman, Rose McGowan, Stephen Lang, and Rachel Nichols co-star in a sweeping fantasy adventure based on the character created by Robert E. Howard, and directed by Marcus Nispel (THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, FRIDAY THE 13TH).


REVIEW:

OK, I love a good fantasy film so when I heard about the new Conan I had to see it. I love a film where they rely on few CG’s and whilst this wasn’t the biggest of budgets they did themselves proud with a film that will appeal to fans of not only the Barbarian but combat heavy films.

Jason Momoa works well in the title role and I have to give kudos to Leo Howard (the actor who played Young Conan) for helping to bring it to the audience. Add to this a reasonable plot, and a storyline that felt that it had a lot in common with the source material and I was a very happy movie watcher (although there are places within where it is a little patchy.) Which when added to some decent DVD featurettes and on the whole I was very pleased.

Finally please be aware that this title is full of gore and that it’s 15 for a reason. Yes there’s the odd shot of topless ladies but with the splattering of chopped off body parts it’s definitely something to be aware of, especially if you’re aware of the Conan Cartoon.

1 comment:

Pat Hollett said...

I enjoyed this movie. I can't miss a good fantasy film ever. And, not to mention Jason Momoa (from Game of Thrones) whooaaa! I would watch this man in any movie...yummy! Sorry about that Gareth & Lady El...can't help it. A very good remake. :)