Friday 23 April 2010

GRAPHIC NOVEL REVIEW: Resistance - Mike Costa, CP Smith, Ramon Perez

BOOK BLURB:

This first-ever graphic novel based on the best-selling Sony PlayStation 3 video-game from writer Mike Costa ( Secret History of the Authority: Hawksmoor ) is integral to the game's story and helps further define this complex universe! In this volume, Nathan Hale leads a desperate fight against the extraterrestrial Chimera as the invasion of America begins.


REVIEW:

As a huge fan of graphic novels, I’m always wanting something to hit the spot. Usually I go for a series that I’ve tried and loved or I’ll try a representation on a popular theme. So when this title became available that blended Aliens fighting mankind with a computer game tie in, I thought that my luck was in. Unfortunately it wasn’t. This title, which did have some unique features about it, didn’t feel particularly well rounded, the overall arc was pretty simplistic, the progression basic and the artwork really didn’t help to bind the piece together as a whole. It is well done for what it is but it didn’t give me that something special to make it stand out from the huge variety of titles already out there. I suppose you could say that it was a good bit of escapism for the duration of the read but its not only that I’ll revisit any time soon as it really is that forgettable. A great shame to be honest but it might well please those who’ve played and enjoyed the game.

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll have to pick this one up!