Wednesday 4 July 2012

LADY ELEANOR ART BOOK REVIEW: The Art of Luke Chueh - Luke Chueh

Release Date: 01/06/12

SYNOPSIS:

"Like a cuddly Trojan horse, Chueh's work is pretty on the outside, but nice and macabre on the inside": so says "Entertainment Weekly" of LA-based artist Luke Chueh. Employing minimal color schemes, simple animal characters, and a seemingly endless list of ill-fated situations, Chueh has enjoyed cult acclaim and sell-out shows, making this, his first book, an eagerly awaited one.


REVIEW:

I’m going to single myself out here as a bit of a pleb. Art to me is something I like, if the piece speaks to me and tells me a story I can follow I tend to like it and that’s why when I heard about Luke Cheuh’s title coming out I just couldn’t resist. His style of cutesy is often a way to lull people in only to face something that they wouldn’t have considered and whilst he’s known for this the shock factor of some of the pieces really does mean a lot to people who have experienced some of lifes nastier sides.

Its cleverly put together, the art reproductions wonderfully sized so that you can take your time looking at each piece and with accompanying text from the artist himself, its something that is more than just a coffee table book, it’s a title that you’ll want to look through time and again as well as being one that will make you think to episodes within your own life as you find the message that he’s trying to convey.

All in, whilst this isn’t my usual sort of art book, it was one that I definitely felt a connection to and as such is one that will stay with me for quite some time.



No comments: