Wednesday 23 November 2011

URBAN FANTASY REVIEW: Tomes of the Dead: Double Dead - Chuck Wendig

Release Date: 10/11/11

SYNOPSIS:

Coburn's been dead now for close to a century, but seeing as how he's a vampire and all, it doesn t much bother him. Or at least it didn't, not until he awoke from a forced five-year slumber to discover that most of human civilization was now dead but not dead like him, oh no. See, Coburn likes blood. The rest of the walking dead, they like brains. He's smart. Them, not so much. But they outnumber him by about a million to one. And the clotted blood of the walking dead cannot sustain him. Now he's starving. And nocturnal. And more hacked-off than a bee-stung rattlesnake. The vampire not only has to find human survivors (with their sweet, sweet blood), but now he has to transition from predator to protector after all, a man has to look after his food supply.


REVIEW:

I love a good horror story that takes an established convention and then turns it on its head so when I heard about this story from Abaddon where you had a Vampire fighting Zombies to protect his food supply (the humans) I was really looking forward to it landing. Firstly because I thought it was a clever idea and secondly because it was appearing in an established series so I thought that most of the world building was done so that the tale could get down to the real nitty-gritty of the story.

Sadly however the story that I read fell far short of my expectations. Why?

Well, the principle character of Coburn was detestable as well as arrogant with no redeeming traits for me. I really didn’t care about him and when you added what felt like smart alec dialogue as well as prose this rather than encouraging me in, left me feeling cheated and annoyed. A great shame to be honest as I loved the concept but one bad book does not sower a series so here’s hoping that the next one picks up.

No comments: