Tuesday 29 June 2010

FANTASY REVIEW: Lord of the Changing Winds - Rachel Neumeier

BOOK BLURB:

The desert winds have come to the village of Minas Ford. Griffins, creatures of fire, have appeared in a burning haze - searing the sky a blinding white and scorching the earth to parched, barren sand. These majestic beasts, half-lion, half-eagle, spread the arid desert wherever they roam. Iaor, the King of Feierabiand, will not tolerate the destruction of his people's farmland. He means to drive the griffins from his domain - whether by negotiation or brute force. But not all those who encounter the griffins fear them. Kes, a timid village girl, is summoned to heal the King of the Griffins himself. She will discover her affinity with these creatures, and come to realise that the menace they flee is even more deadly than the blazing fires of the desert.


REVIEW:

To be blunt, I really couldn’t get into this title as it felt a little too flowery for my own personal fantasy tastes. Whilst I’m not saying that it’s a bad book I just felt alienated with the principle protagonista whom I couldn’t get a handle on and with prose that almost dance upon the mind in a whimsical manner made this a title that just made no real sense to me as a whole.

There will be a reader market out there that’s been looking for something like this but to be blunt I do like fantasy to be more down and out dirty rather than all pretty ponies (or in this case griffins) and prancing pillock’s who I could just lamp.

No comments: